Stress Management Tips for the Elderly
Stress can affect anyone at any age. However, it can be particularly overwhelming for the elderly. With the right support, treatment, and self-help strategies, seniors can cope better with life’s twists and turns, making their senior years much more healthy, happy, and fulfilling.
Below are some effective ways for seniors to reduce stress:
- Meditate: Meditation helps decrease stress and anxiety, while increasing your ability to cope with a stressful situation more effectively. Many tend to blow it off or not understand it. They think you need special tools or to hum, but that’s not true. All you need to learn to meditate is a quiet room and a comfortable chair or position. Just close your eyes and try to quiet your thoughts. At the beginning, it sometimes helps to concentrate on a fixed point on the wall or listening to one sound, blocking out all others. Start meditating and practice often and you will be much more likely to handle stress.
- Volunteer your time: Helping others is one of the best ways to feel better about yourself and to widen your social connections. Seniors who volunteer on a regular basis are less likely to have depression than non-volunteers or non-social seniors.
- Exercise: Besides providing huge physical benefits, exercise has a distinct impact on the mental health as well. There are in fact many exercises that are particularly very beneficial for the aging brain.
- Learn to laugh: Laughter can change anyone’s mood from sad to happy in minutes. Try to laugh as often as possible. To have a good laugh, read funny books and comics or watch comedy movies and TV shows.
- Stay close to your loved ones: Sometimes, spending time with the people you love can help you forget your worries. You might even want to share some of your concerns or problems with your family and friends, possibly getting get the piece of advice you need.
If you are in need of a caregiver who can help you manage stress, contact Always Best Care. They are one of the most trusted Home Health Care providers in North Vancouver and have a team of highly experienced and compassionate caregivers. For more information about their care giving services, feel free to call (778) 945-3010.