COVID-19 Post Hospitalization Home Care: How Seniors Stay Connected In Recovery
Is your loved one recovering from COVID-19? Always Best Care can help. Today’s post reviews research on how COVID-19 post hospitalization home care enhances seniors’ mental, physical, and social wellbeing as they recover from their fight with the novel coronavirus.
Read on or call (905)-592-4886 to start a free consultation with a COVID-19 post hospitalization home care coordinator in Oakville, ON.
COVID-19 Post Hospitalization Home Care Improves Senior Recovery In Oakville, Ontario
In their study of 1409 senior COVID-19 patients discharged from more than 60 different hospitals, researchers Kathryne Bowles and Margaret McDonald looked at how home care services impacted symptoms and functional outcomes over a six-month period.
Here’s what they found:
- Home care leads to smooth recoveries—After an average of 32 days of COVID-19 post hospitalization home care, 94% of patients were discharged “without any adverse events.”
- Home care reduces severity of symptoms—Patients with COVID-19 post hospitalization home care experienced “improvements in both symptoms and function from admission to discharge for all variables,” including lower pain levels (41% to 6%), less frequent dyspnea, greater cognitive alertness, and significant drops in anxiety.
- Home care facilitates greater independence during recovery—Substantial improvements were seen in functional status, with the average number of dependencies for the activities of daily living dropping from 6/9 to 1/9.
Clearly, COVID-19 post-hospitalization home care can make all the difference for seniors’ mental and physical recovery. But while social health indicators were not included as part of this report, there’s no denying the role of COVID-19 post hospitalization home care in keeping seniors socially connected and free from the dangers of isolation and loneliness.
Keep Seniors Connected In Recovery With COVID-19 Post Hospitalization Home Care
While those recovering from COVID-19 must continue to shelter-in-place, social distancing does not mean social isolation. In fact, social isolation can greatly reduce your odds of a successful recovery, and even increase the risks of dementia and all-cause mortality.
To maintain your loved one’s social wellbeing during their recovery, our COVID-19 post hospitalization home care service can:
- Provide constant companionship and meaningful conversation while providing home care
- Help your loved one take part in some of the Oakville senior center’s virtual programming
- Schedule regular phone calls with friends and family
- Enforce COVID-19 safety precautions to facilitate safe visits with friends and family (e.g. visiting outdoors with proper social distance and masking)
- Assist with the purchase and setup of any software or hardware required for video chats with friends and family (E.g. webcam, smartphone, microphone, Zoom)
In this way, we not only enhance seniors’ mental and physical wellbeing, but also protect their social health to promote successful aging and speedy recoveries.
Free Quote On COVID-19 Post Hospitalization Home Care In Oakville, ON
Call 905-592-4886 or visit the Always Best Care of Oakville website to book a free COVID-19 post hospitalization home care consultation with our team.